In 2011, groups and organizations banded together to establish September as the month to nationally recognize the chronic pain community. September became Pain Awareness Month (PAM). Their goal was to increase awareness of how pain affects individuals, families, communities, and the nation while also educating caregivers and healthcare professionals about various treatments available to patients.
Throughout the month, many pain-centered organizations and people living with pain further expanded the concept that chronic pain is a complicated and stigmatized illness. PAM unifies the chronic pain community through empowering approaches such as events, virtual campaigns, visual awareness initiatives, and social media activities.
Many organizations and groups participated by raising awareness of chronic pain symptoms, including the U.S. Pain Foundation. The Foundation did its best to increase awareness by encouraging people to do the following:
- Spread the word
- Decorating the city or town with blue campaign signs or ribbons
- Obtaining a proclamation from states or towns recognizing September as Pain Awareness Month
- Host fundraisers to help support U.S. Pain’s work
- Host an information table at a hospital, community center, library, or anywhere else you can
- Share your chronic pain experience by submitting an op-ed to a local paper
- Participate in a 30-day social media challenge
- Change their profile pictures
For more information on the U.S. Pain Foundation, visit their website here. However, if you’d like to discuss your chronic pain symptoms with one of our Ft. Meyers pain management physicians, schedule an appointment with Pain Medicine Group today. We understand pain is debilitating and can affect every aspect of a person’s life. Our clinic was founded to make an impact on the lives of those who suffer from chronic pain. Our physicians take a multidisciplinary approach to solving our patients’ pain issues to maximize the best possible outcome. We also provide each patient with a customized treatment plan, catered to each person’s specific needs and unique circumstances. Let us see how we can help.
Contact us at (888) 832-3597 or fill out our online form to schedule an appointment with us today. We look forward to speaking with you.